Wednesday 9 July 2014

Weekend in Rome... Galleria Lorcan O'Neill

Last weekend I went over to Rome for Lorcan O'Neill's new gallery opening at 3 Vicolo Dei Catinari and to dj at the after party. First of all I should say it's been a while since I've been to Rome and in fact since I left dear old Hackney Road! I do like traveling don't get me wrong - not so keen on the train, plane process of actually getting somewhere. Once I'm at said chosen destination I love it. Anyway Rome, yeah, blazing hot and a lot of cobble stones not ideal for a lady like me who likes to add the inches with an ankle strapped hoof. Still though I managed! The Gallery is something to behold, up it's cobble stoned entrance and a slice of old Rome greets you in the form of a ornate fountain. It's a bit crumbling but there are plans to get it back to it's former glory.

Entrance to Galleria Lorcan O'Neill
The entrance is to the left btw. The debut group show consists Richard Long, Jeff Wall and Enrico Castellani. I'm a great fan of Richard Longs work... Devonshire mud paintings and rock installations. Richard Long was actually there and I actually got to meet him and have a chat. Fan facts: did you know Richard Long once made a bow tie out of a cereal packet when he was at college in the 60's. Gilbert & George were his class mates and he likes to have a disco dance on occasion.

Richard Long rock formation in the viewing room.
Inside the gallery (courtesy of Galleria Lorcan O'Neill)
Jeff Wall was also there, and a cast of artists and supporters on the wildly hot and glamourous evening of Friday 4th July. Later we made our way to Gilda, a  disco which looked liked something straight out of the 80's for a light bite and a proper dance. Yes and everyone danced as I played a selection of old and new disco plus favourites.

Next day a special lunch... complete with speeches.

What we ate.
A little fact about Lorcan whom I met when he was at the Anthony Doffay Gallery in London and who was integral to putting on the Leigh Bowery installation there in 1988.

A snatch of Leigh performing at the Doffay gallery 1988


Website click here... Galleria Lorcan O'Neill Roma

No comments:

Post a Comment